include(dirname(dirname(__FILE__)) . "/inc/includes.inc.php");
$page->activeSection = "overview";
BEEN is an environment for benchmarking of distributed
middleware systems. It consists of multiple components which can run either on a single machine
or in the distributed environment (on multiple machines).
- Host Runtime
- Provides environment for running BEEN tasks. The tasks carry executable code
and form basic work units of the system. Vital BEEN components (except Task
Manager and web interface) are tasks themselves.
- Task Manager
- Schedules tasks for execution in the distributed environment and monitors
the running tasks.
- Software Repository
- Manages software packages (software sources or binaries) available for the
system. It stores them as "BEEN packages" (.bpk) along with metadata
- Results Repository
- Stores collected benchmark results and performs additional processing.
Visualizes processed results as graphs and tables.
- Benchmark Manager
- Keeps track over existing benchmark experiments. The experiments are grouped
into benchmark analyses aimed at performance comparison (comparison analysis) or
regression benchmarking (regression analysis). The Benchmark Manager
supports benchmark different benchmarks through benchmark specific plugins.
- Host Manager
- Stores database of hosts available to the system. Performs software/hardware
configuration probing and host management.
- Web Interface
- Allows easy interaction with the system components using the web browser.
More information on BEEN can be found in
- Kalibera, T., Lehotsky J., Majda D., Repcek B., Tomcanyi M., Tomecek A., Tuma, P., Urban J.:
Automated Benchmarking and Analysis Tool
(PDF, 149 kB), VALUETOOLS 2006 (preliminary version)
– detailed architecture and description of the beta version
- Kalibera, T., Bulej, L., Tuma, P.:
Generic Environment for Full Automation of Benchmarking
(PDF, 84 kB), SOQUA 2004
– requirements and raw architecture